Fire Emblem Genesis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fire Emblem Genesis

screw playing, i want to argue about it on the internet

You are not connected. Please login or register

Marcus out of high tier

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Marcus out of high tier Empty Marcus out of high tier Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:39 am

dondon151

Grandjackal on SF:

Also, Marcus is in high because up until Roy promotes, Marcus is generally better. He might not give as good a bonus to the cavs, but he also keeps up with them easier. Basically he can fill Roy's shoes when he can. By the time Roy's promotion problem hits, Marcus is feeling the bite too, but Marcus has a huge weapon selection to chose from. Slayers,reavers, ranged weapons...This on top of move.

dondon151 on SF:

OK, this only tells me why Marcus > Roy, and Roy has dropped to near the bottom of upper mid. Once the enemies start getting more than like 7 AS, Marcus stops doubling forever. I can go on and on about how great it is to have a horse, but when you're like 3RKOing cavs and mercs in chapter 13x with a Silver Lance, that's bad (obviously switch to Halberd or Horseslayer on cavs but this is just for demonstrative purposes). And that Silver Lance doesn't last forever. You probably used some of it in the earlier chapters against mercs and bosses, and then you got another one in chapter 6, but you had to share that with Zealot. Silvers aren't buyable until chapter 17 on Sacae route and chapter 20 on Ilia route (by the way, Marcus really sucks in Sacae).
Yeah, Marcus is great earlygame, and yeah, Marcus is probably better than Roy overall, but why is he still in high tier?

2Marcus out of high tier Empty Re: Marcus out of high tier Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:43 am

Colonel M

Colonel M

It was Reikken who made the suggestion. Maybe I'll look into this argument later, but I'm not 100% disagreeing with it either.

3Marcus out of high tier Empty Re: Marcus out of high tier Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 am

dondon151

I guess the other part of my "confusion" is that there is a 2 tier gap between Marcus and Zealot, but Marcus is only around for 6 more chapters, and Zealot consistently outperforms Marcus when they both exist, even if it's by only a small margin (unless you decide that we should give Marcus supports and Zealot no supports).

I guess it's not necessarily just Marcus being too high but maybe a combination of Marcus being too high and Zealot being too low, but w/e.

4Marcus out of high tier Empty Re: Marcus out of high tier Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:40 pm

Colonel M

Colonel M

dondon151 wrote:I guess the other part of my "confusion" is that there is a 2 tier gap between Marcus and Zealot, but Marcus is only around for 6 more chapters, and Zealot consistently outperforms Marcus when they both exist, even if it's by only a small margin (unless you decide that we should give Marcus supports and Zealot no supports).

I guess it's not necessarily just Marcus being too high but maybe a combination of Marcus being too high and Zealot being too low, but w/e.
Actually I agree with you all the way. The gap definitely needs to close again, because Marcus does not equal a two tier gap, despite his performance earlygame. It goes back to how much we weigh each part of the game and if we're doing the whole "effecient timeline where we drop a unit off once he becomes a negative" or "he's being played throughout the whole game".

5Marcus out of high tier Empty Re: Marcus out of high tier Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Mekkah

Mekkah
Admin

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14515&st=960&p=554204&#entry554204

Reikken's posts that procced the Marcus rise, for anyone who wants to read the reasoning.

https://fegenesis.forummotion.com

6Marcus out of high tier Empty Re: Marcus out of high tier Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:45 pm

dondon151

Mekkah wrote:
Reikken's posts that procced the Marcus rise, for anyone who wants to read the reasoning.
Well this is pretty much "Marcus being good for 7 chapters > someone else being average to good for the rest of the game," which I don't agree with. Being average in the early parts of the game is better than being totally shitty or not deployed in the mid to later parts of the game. And Reikken used the example of Lot, who does become pretty good after promotion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum