Fire Emblem Genesis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fire Emblem Genesis

screw playing, i want to argue about it on the internet

You are not connected. Please login or register

FE2-How much consideration should be given to Mage Robin?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Grandjackal

Grandjackal

Let's think about this one. What are his problems?

Strength-Made up for hitting the weaker resistance stat.

Defense-As a mage, he shouldn't get attacked that much.

Speed-A problem indeed, but this will be addressed.

What are his advantages? That sounds like an all around awful unit.

Skill-Skill=crit, and he's got plenty. When hitting with magic, this is going to HURT.

Excalibur at level 6-20 crit off the bat. *Points to the skill advantage* So we can say safely that his crit will be high, which can potentially make up for his speed problem.

Range-Since melee is a no no one way or another (merc doesn't make up for pisspoor strength, armor is too slow despite other advantages, Archer is combining shit strength with shit accuracy, cav is just asking for trouble), he might as well have the benefit of magic chip damage at a time when everyone's not ORKOing easily. In fact, that is hard as fuck to do in this game, so him having magic, excalibur, and a noticeably higher crit rate should put him noticeably ahead in potential damage output. A crit is likely to kill, but otherwise he's still doing some nice chip damage.

Time-Alm's team has next to no mages of worthy long term talent. Silk is stuck with white magic crap, and Ryuto doesn't show up for a goddamn long time. Robin gives you a mage who's going to be with you a majority of the game with a team that is desperate for some sort of magic (there are a lot more high defense assholes in Alm's route than Celica's, and Celica has a shitton of mages to deal with them). Think of all the times you would love to have a mage around where Alm's team normally wouldn't. Grey needs to be a merc, and Cliff could be anything better. Robin has no other option, and he is a stunning option, meaning he can be that mage you dreamed of.

Obviously he's still garbage since he needs to rely on crit chance rather than good ol' speed, but at least he has enough crit to back himself up. Still, better than any other option out there, no?

Paperblade

FE2 crit is (Skl+Lck)/2

Although Robin's Luck growth is only 10 lower than his Skill and the base is actually 2 higher, so I don't know what this does for your argument.

I do think that Robin needs to move out of Bottom though. Never got the impression he was that bad.

Grandjackal

Grandjackal

Paperblade wrote:FE2 crit is (Skl+Lck)/2

Although Robin's Luck growth is only 10 lower than his Skill and the base is actually 2 higher, so I don't know what this does for your argument.

I do think that Robin needs to move out of Bottom though. Never got the impression he was that bad.

He starts average, then slowly starts to suck as his shit basic combat growths kick in (Str, Speed, Def), so technically he IS bad as any sort of physical class, even archer. Luck and Skill can only do so much for accuracy, and archer weapons tend to have balls accuracy (I rarely see a time where it isn't basically decided by coin flips, which is bad 1 RN or 2). The benefit of being a mage is that it's not a physical class, and magic tends to be pretty accurate, so with his natural hit to go along witht he crit, chances are you're never escaping being magi-bombed.

Regardless, his luck and skill are his two greatest traits, so still he's going to have unnaturally high crit as long as he's packing Excalibur.

cheetah7071

Regardless of the virtues of excalibur, enjoy his massive suckitude until he learns it at level 6. I still think he's better off as a mercenary, because 10 speed is extremely nice.

Grandjackal

Grandjackal

cheetah7071 wrote:Regardless of the virtues of excalibur, enjoy his massive suckitude until he learns it at level 6. I still think he's better off as a mercenary, because 10 speed is extremely nice.

Level 6 isn't exceptionally painful when you can just promote him ASAP.

cheetah7071

He still needs to gain 7 levels (2 as villager, 5 as mage), which doesn't happen quickly in this game.

sPortsman

sPortsman

Robin doesn't suck that bad getting to level 6, when you consider that he actually starts good (only dealing 5 x2 instead of 8 or 7 x2 like Alm/Luka and Grey respectively, but that's not a huge deal) His suck only really stands out against stronger enemies.

Anyway, I'm not sure if Mage Robin would even affect his position because I'd prefer to do this the FEDS way (Characters are tiered based on best route) although I guess it wouldn't hurt to add shit like Grey (Merc) or Grey (Archer) on the list, because it IS only four characters we're doing this for.

Either or I also agree that Robin isn't bottom, he has plenty of time to clean up his act. Side note, I don't think Ryuto is bottom either despite less than desirable availability. Hell, riddle me this, what in the world makes Dute a tier up on Ryuto?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum