Fire Emblem Genesis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fire Emblem Genesis

screw playing, i want to argue about it on the internet

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Tier Player Concept

2 posters

What is the tier player?

The Tier Player Concept Vote_lcap100%The Tier Player Concept Vote_rcap 100% [ 2 ]
The Tier Player Concept Vote_lcap0%The Tier Player Concept Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Tier Player Concept Empty The Tier Player Concept Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 am

Interceptor

Interceptor

This section is thin on tier philosphy arguments. I'll start by throwing out something that I know is somewhat contentious, but shouldn't result in too much bloodshed: the idea of the tier player.

As a general rule, no matter the tier list that I'm participating in, I like to sometimes use the concept of the tier player in an argument. My idea of a tier player is that of a fictional person that has perfect knowledge of his environment. By perfect knowledge, I mean:

- he knows when and where reinforcements appear, unit stats where applicable, the location of hidden items, and all known and relevant in-game calculations.
- he knows what will happen in the future: not the results of the RNG, naturally, but upcoming chapters/challenges, for example whether it makes sense to use a particular item immediately or to save it.
- he always acts in accordance with reaching the specific goals of a tier list, meaning that he doesn't take actions that undermine it. For example, playing inefficiently in a list that measures efficiency.
- the tier player does not make tactical mistakes, like leaving a healer/heron/dancer that gets OHKO'ed within range of someone during Enemy Phase.

What about everyone else? The joke option in the poll is for people who don't beleive in the concept.

PS: this forum software is a little annoying WRT to polls, had to re-create this topic twice. The poll appears to be horribly broken, as well.

2The Tier Player Concept Empty Re: The Tier Player Concept Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:44 pm

FE3_Player

FE3_Player

- the tier player does not make tactical mistakes, like leaving a healer/heron/dancer that gets OHKO'ed within range of someone during Enemy Phase.
Even if this is true, I believe the proposed "tier player" can be assumed to not have to wall certain units that can take hits and afford to take risks with them, that way durability for healers, mages, and archers can still matter in debate.

The real question for me is, where does the tier player fall when it comes to luck manipulation?

3The Tier Player Concept Empty Re: The Tier Player Concept Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Interceptor

Interceptor

FE3_Player wrote:Even if this is true, I believe the proposed "tier player" can be assumed to not have to wall certain units that can take hits and afford to take risks with them, that way durability for healers, mages, and archers can still matter in debate.
I agree, depending on the specifics. If taking risks like that doesn't undermine the goal of the tier list, that fits in with my idea of the tier player concept.

The real question for me is, where does the tier player fall when it comes to luck manipulation?
Personally I think that's a higher-level question. Luck manipulation is one of those things that needs to be agreed upon for specific lists, because the impact varies by game, whether it's abusing the RNG in FE7 or reset-abusing in FE9 or Battle Save abuse in FE10 or clock-abusing in FE11 or whatever.

4The Tier Player Concept Empty Re: The Tier Player Concept Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:38 pm

FE3_Player

FE3_Player

I know RNG abuse by resetting on map saves to reduce turn count in Chapters 2 & 3 of H5 are considered because the first three chapters can kill any efficient run going for low turn count, but not for boosting stats. The reason I ask is if this approach is acceptable or not.

I can see how other forms that are far more powerful doesn't affect any character position, such as FE4's save system.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum